Do you Care for a Family Member or Friend who has an Illness, Addiction or Disability?
You may be caring for…
… a frail or elderly parent
… a child with a learning disability
… a friend with a mental health problem
… or some other caring role
Please Let your GP know that you are a carer and ask if this can be registered on your medical record.
We keep a Carers Register, which is a list of patients who are providing unpaid care and support to a family member or friend living with a long-term health condition.
To support you as a carer Kippax Hall Surgery offers the following Support:
- Flexibility with appointment times for you and the person you care for or a double appointment if both you and the person you care for at the same time to avoid having to visit the surgery twice.
- Annual Health Checks for carers
- Coffee and Chat sessions or Carers Groups
- Carers Board – a display of useful information for carers including details of the Carers Count service
- Carers Champion – an allocated member of staff who can provide you with more information about Carers Count and refer you through to us for support
- Agreement to share information with you about the person you care for, with their consent
- If the person you care for no longer has the capacity to or is unable to give consent, the practice will still share information with you if you have a Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare for that person (proof of this is usually required)
- Registered carers are entitled to a free flu jab each year
- Arrange for repeat prescriptions to be delivered to your local pharmacy to save you picking them up.
- We can help to provide supporting letters and information to prove your role as a carer and enable you to access certain benefits.
Our Carers Champion is:
Please ask for Donna if you have any queries about our support for carers – they will be happy to help and treat the conversation in strictest confidence.
Carers Leeds Offer:
- Appointments with a Carer Support Worker for confidential advice, information or support. This can be face to face or over the phone.
- Help to complete forms and to deal with problems that may arise in a person’s caring role.
- Support groups to meet other carers.
- Social and information events.
- Free carers newsletters.
You can register with Carers Leeds by completing a yellow carers registration form available from reception.
Carers Leeds, 6-8 The Headrow, Leeds, LS1 6PT